Golf’s Most Mysterious Course Opens to the Public in 2020.
Par 71, 7000 yards
Designed by Bill Coore & Ben Crenshaw
9 coastline greens and ocean views on all 18 holes
1 mile ocean frontage
Preview Play Date - To be determined, sign up for updates!
Opening Day Date - To be determined, sign up for updates!
Coore Crenshaw Team
Course Architects -
Bill Coore & Ben Crenshaw
Shapers - Jim Craig, John Hawker, Ryan Farrow, Keith Rhebb
Prior Dream Golf Courses -
2005 Bandon Trails
2012 Bandon Preserve
2016 Cabot Cliffs
2017 Sand Valley
2018 The Sandbox
Bandon Dunes Team
Founders - Phil Friedmann &
Project Lead Contractor - Tony Russell
Project Lead Support - Dan Proctor
Project Manager - Ken Nice
Will the course remain named the Sheep Ranch?
• Yes, the course will remain named the Sheep Ranch.
Who is the architect?
• Bill Coore & Ben Crenshaw.
Has the par and course yardage been determined?
• Par 71 and 7000 yards.
How many holes will be on the coastline? How many will have ocean views?
• 9 greens will be perched on the cliffs above the Pacific and all 18 holes have stunning ocean views.
How many miles of ocean front golf exist at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort and the Sheep Ranch?
• Bandon Dunes Golf Resort has two miles of existing ocean frontage stretching from south of Bandon Preserve to Whiskey Run Creek north of Old Macdonald.
• The Sheep Ranch has over a mile of in-your-face ocean frontage.
• We are going from two to three plus miles of golf on the ocean.
How long have you owned the property? Was any additional property acquired to build the 18-holes?
• Phil Friedmann and Mike Keiser have owned the property for twenty years. No additional property was purchased to build the 18 holes.
When is opening day?
• To be determined.
Will there be ‘Preview’ play similar to other course openings?
• Preview play will probably be offered, once a date is determined it will be shared on the website.
What other amenities/infrastructure will be at the site?
• To be determined.
What were the first holes to be shaped and seeded?
• The furthest south end of the property was the first area to be shaped and seeded.
What is the current time frame for finishing?
• To be determined.
Can you talk about the history of the Sheep Ranch? What was Tom Doak’s involvement? Who decided on the original layout and format for golf?
• Tom Doak worked with us to create the Sheep Ranch while he was working on Pacific Dunes. His was great work and some of the original green sites will continue to be used.
Why have you waited almost 15 years to update the course into an 18-hole routing?
• It was early in the construction of Bandon Dunes Golf Resort and we didn’t want to take the focus off resort development.
What is the background of the name the Sheep Ranch?
• Early in its existence the idea of having sheep on the course was inspired by Brora, a course on the Northern Coast of Scotland, where sheep and cows roam free. While sheep no longer roam the Sheep Ranch property, the local Wyatt family farm offered early on to have their herd of sheep roam the property with the goal of keeping the grass short over the winter.
Questions for the Founders:
(Phil) You’ve been the one managing the Sheep Ranch for the past 15+ years – how would you describe that experience? Why is now the right time to update it into a traditional golf experience?
• It was wonderful to have this incredibly special golf experience early on. It is now time to share the magic of the Sheep Ranch with other lovers of the game.
With so many great golf course architects in the business, how did you decide on Coore & Crenshaw? Do they have a specific design that captured your attention the most?
• Coore & Crenshaw solved the riddle of the perfect routing on the ocean’s edge.
(Mike) You have worked with Coore & Crenshaw on many projects, what is it about Coore & Crenshaw that keeps you coming back?
• They are great listeners.
Mike Keiser has been a driving force for quality and sustainable golf projects. (Phil) Are you going to follow in the same manner? Do you have any other golf development projects in mind after this is completed?
• The historical tradition of golf at its very best will continue.
(Phil) How do you think the Sheep Ranch will compare to the other courses at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort? Others around the country? World?
• The design is brilliant and there is a mystical nature to the interaction of the land and the ocean. The experience will be amazing. Could it be the best? Yes!